The Town of Coeymans is looking to fill the position of full time Automotive Mechanic 1 within the Highway Department. Applications can be found at www.coeymans.org or at Coeymans Town Hall 18 Russell Ave. Ravena, N.Y. 12143
PLEASE SUBMIT BY: 10/26/21 to the Supervisor’s Office at Town Hall.
AUTOMOTIVE MECHANIC I
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Employee in this class performs skilled work involving the responsibility for the complete overhaul and repair of a variety of automotive equipment and related type of machinery, particularly industrial vehicles. Incumbent duties involve same work as Automotive Mechanic II except for the most complex equipment. General instructions are received regarding tasks to be performed, but considerable leeway is permitted in planning the details of each assignment. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Overhauls and rebuilds gasoline motors, transmissions, differentials;
- Carburetors including trucks, power shovels, tractors, air compressors, bulldozers, cement mixers and other related equipment;
- May maintain heavy automotive and diesel equipment including but not limited to dump trucks, loaders, back-hoes and graders;
- Repairs or replaces electrical and electronic ignition systems;
- Mounts snow plows, sanders and auxiliary equipment and connects hydraulic systems to vehicles;
- Makes welding repairs to automotive equipment;
- Checks air in tires and adjusts pressure;
- Changes and repairs tires and tubes;
- Changes tires that are on split-rims;
- Repairs or replaces fuel pumps, generators, alternators and starters;
- Tunes engines and sets the timing;
- Attaches snow plows, sanders and other auxiliary equipment;
- Repairs machinery such as clippers, stumpers, patching rollers, etc.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Thorough knowledge of standard automotive repair methods and of the terminology and tools of difficult repairs to heavy automotive and other mechanical equipment which may include diesel equipment;
- Familiarity with welding techniques;
- Ability to work from plans and specifications and to follow rough draft sketches and oral instructions;
- Good motor skills, hand-eye coordination;
- Manual dexterity;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
One (1) year of experience as a skilled automotive repairman.
NOTE: In the Albany County Department of Public Works the one (1) year of experience as a skilled automotive repairman must have included working with diesel equipment.
NOTE: Must obtain a New York State Motor Vehicle Inspection License for heavy duty trucks within six (6) months of appointmentif the position is in the Albany County Department of Public Works.
Possession of a valid New York State Driver’s License.