The Town of Coeymans is looking to fill the position of full time Building Inspector/ Code Enforcement Officer to head our Building Department. This position is provisional pending an Albany County Civil Service exam. Full specifications are listed below.
Applications can be found at www.coeymans.org or at Coeymans Town Hall 18 Russell Ave. Ravena, N.Y. 12143
PLEASE SUBMIT BY: 10/22/21
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The work involves the inspection of construction plans and buildings for compliance with building laws and regulations. The position entails a high degree of responsibility since errors in judgment might endanger the lives and property of the town inhabitants. General instructions are received from a higher level official concerning departmental policies and objectives. Work is checked by reviewing reports of inspections. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Explains requirements of state and municipal building codes to contractors and the general public;
- Passes upon building construction and repair plans prior to issuing permits;
- Inspects buildings in the process of construction in order to ascertain that code requirements for reinforced concrete, timber, structural steel, footings and wall sizes are observed;
- Inspects existing buildings and structures, and notes general condition and safety for continued use;
- Orders corrections and improvements;
- Issues condemnation notices to owners and builders of improper hazardous structures;
- Investigates complaints and assists in prosecuting violators of the building code;
- Maintains records and issues reports of building inspection activities.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Thorough knowledge of modern practices, materials, and tools used in building construction;
- Considerable knowledge of the provisions of state and local building codes;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with other public officials, with building contractors, and with the general public;
- Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications;
- Firmness with courtesy;
- Good judgment;
- Good physical condition.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATONS: EITHER:
- Graduation from an approved two-year college with a major in Mechanical or Construction Technology or related program and two (2) years of experience in the building construction field; OR,
- Graduation from high school and four (4) years of experience in the building construction or building inspection field.
- Completion of a mandated training program offered by New York State Fire Prevention Codes Division within probationary period.
- Eligibility for an appropriate class New York State Motor Vehicle license. Possession of such license at time of appointment.
CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The incumbent in this position inspects existing structures and property to ensure compliance with local and state housing regulations, standards, Multiple Residence Law and standards for Commercial and Business Establishment Multiple Residence Law and local fire codes. Performs routine inspections and files reports; makes recommendations regarding findings. The work is performed under the general direction of higher level official with leeway allowed for independent judgment in carrying out the details of work. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Inspects buildings and property according to an assigned schedule for compliance with state and local codes;
- Inspect buildings in the process of construction in order to ascertain that code requirements for reinforced concrete, framing, structural steel, footings, insulation, plumbing and fire protection features have been met;
- Review construction plans to check compliance with the building code;
- Inspect existing buildings and structures and notes general condition and safety for continued use; issues order to correct or abate;
- Approve building construction and plans prior to issuing permits;
- Provides routine information regarding codes to landlords, property owners, tenants, government officials, etc.;
- Performs investigations of structures and properties which may result from complaints;
- Prepares written reports and recommendations of all inspections and/or re-inspections;
- References inspections reports with codes and laws to indicate section number of violation code;
- Enter all inspections and re-inspections in the log book.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good knowledge of the local codes and ordinances regarding standards for existing structures;
- Working knowledge of state laws regarding sanitary and multiple residence requests;
- Working knowledge of local codes and regulations regarding fire prevention and safety;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relations with the public;
- Ability to prepare and present reports clearly and concisely in written and oral form;
- Ability to follow instructions;
- Good powers of observation; willingness to perform field investigations; tact; good judgment;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and completion of a mandated training program offered by the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code – Title 19.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of an appropriate New York State driver’s license at time of appointment. Must be maintained throughout employment. Eligibility for the training programs as set forth in Sec. 434.6 of Title 19 NYCRR, Part 434; Minimum Standards For Code Enforcement Personnel in the State of New York.