SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR TRAINEE-
APPLICATIONS CAN BE FOUND ON THIS WEBSITE UNDER “FORMS” OR AT TOWN HALL
PLEASE SUBMIT APPLICATIONS BY 10/01/2021 TO THE SUPERVISOR’S OFFICE
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is a trainee position involving responsibility for learning the duties and routines in the operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant. The employee assists in the operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant and undergoes on-the-job training to become qualified as an operator of a wastewater treatment plant. The employee is required to satisfactorily complete the training and experience requirements of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation for a certificate appropriate to the plant. The work is performed under immediate supervision of a qualified operator, although regular routine assignments may be performed more independently, and more initiative and judgment are utilized as experience is gained. The maximum term of this traineeship is five (5) years. Appointees who successfully complete their traineeship and who are eligible for advancement may be appointed to Sewage Treatment Plant Operator (2), (3A), or (4A), depending upon the certificate obtained, without further examination. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
- Performs study and reading assignments, observes demonstrations and otherwise learns the techniques of operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant;
- Learns and assists in the operation and adjustment of pumps, valves, screens, and related mechanical equipment;
- Learns and assists in the inspection, maintenance and repair of pumps, valves, screens and related mechanical equipment;
- Learns and assists in the making of tests to determine chlorine residual;
- Cleans channels, screens, tanks and other equipment;
- Learns and assists in the preparation and maintenance of activity records and reports;
- Performs increasingly responsible duties as assigned in the operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant;
- Paints equipment, structures and sewage facilities.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Familiarity with elementary principles of chemistry and general science;
- Good general intelligence;
- Good observation;
- Mechanical aptitude;
- Ability to learn principles and procedures relating to the operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant; Ability to develop skill in the operation and maintenance of pumps, valves and related mechanical equipment;
- Ability to get along well with others;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Industrious and dependable;
- Tactful and courteous;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma.
At the time of appointment: Possession of a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
NOTE: Individuals with permanent competitive status as a Sewage Treatment Plant Operator Trainee mature to Sewage Treatment Plant Operator without further examination following successful completion of the traineeship and the certificate requirement.
Juris. Class: Competitive
ACCS Adopted: Reviewed and readopted by ACCS resolution on 2/10/11